Busy to the Last

Sunday, September 16, 2012, Bonnie and I worshipped in the morning with our sponsoring congregation, the Siwell Road Church of Christ in Jackson, MS. That was our last opportunity to do so prior to our fall mission trip to Asia. We finalized some details respecting financial responsibilities for the Rushmore Evangelism Fund in preparation for our two-month absence. That evening, we worshipped with the Creekwood Church of Christ in Mobile, AL, whereupon I made my PowerPoint presentation Into All the World in 2011.

Saturday, September 22, Bonnie and I as well as Betty Choate met Wayne and Janet Barrier for supper in Tupelo, MS. They were accompanied by two couples from the Philippines. Essentially, our Philippine brethren were batons, passed to Betty Choate from the Barriers. After our meal at Cracker Barrel, Bonnie and I returned to Winona in preparation for our Sunday appointment, and Betty took our foreign brethren with her toward Sunday appointments elsewhere.

Sunday, September 23, I taught Bible class and preached for the morning worship at the meetinghouse of the West President Church of Christ in Greenwood, MS. We worshipped there that evening, too, when a member of the congregation preached the Sunday night sermon. We usually attend Wednesday night Bible class there, and the congregation also contributes to our foreign mission trips.

 Philippine BrethrenMonday and Tuesday, our Philippine brethren were with the Winona team, minus Jerry and Paula Bates who were abroad. Bonnie prepared a sumptuous meal for all of us on Monday night. Tuesday, Bonnie and I transported our foreign brethren to Tupelo once more to transfer them back to Wayne and Janet. We ate at a Chinese restaurant; eating often figures into fellowship as well as work for Christians.

Wednesday, September 26, Bonnie and I loaded the car with baggage for our overseas excursion, plus clothes for prior to and after our journey overseas. We had our last supper before leaving the country at our favorite restaurant – the Texas Roadhouse in Horn Lake, MS. It is always that much more special when our daughter Rebecca can grace us with her presence, and she did.

 TokyoThursday, September 27, Rebecca dropped us at the Memphis International Airport early on her way to work as a schoolteacher in Horn Lake, MS. From Memphis, we flew to Atlanta. From Atlanta, we flew to Los Angeles. From there, we winged our way across the Pacific Ocean to Tokyo, afterward flying on to Singapore. From Singapore, we flew to Yangon, Myanmar. By the time we were lodged in Yangon across from the airport, we three (Bonnie and me plus Therman Hodge) had been awake and on the move (in the same clothes) for about 65 hours. We arrived in Yangon on Saturday, September 29 – 12 time zones away from home.

No rest for the weary, we had to go downtown Yangon to the travel office to purchase airline tickets for our Tuesday flight to Mandalay in Myanmar. In addition, we received brother Jay Ahti at the Season’s Hotel where we were staying; we transferred funds to him for the publication of my book The Church Divine into the Lisu language. Unable to go this year to Myitkyina, Myanmar due to armed conflict, we will be able to send in December literature in our stead. The Christian Church congregations in that area, with whose church leaders and preachers we worked for a week in 2011, requested my lessons on the identity of the church of the Bible for use in their congregations.

Finally! Rest for the weary, before the vigorous application of ourselves in the name of Jesus Christ for nearly 60 days in Asia.

Explore posts in the same categories: Good Eats, India, Literature, Magazines & Books, Myanmar (Burma), Overseas, Preaching Appointments, Travel, Worship

%d bloggers like this: