The Flight that Wouldn’t

Crazy it seemed, but for us to go from Winona, MS to Linden, Guyana, South America, it was almost a “you can’t get there from here” scenario. Bonnie and I drove two hours north to Memphis International Airport. From there we flew east to Atlanta, GA, after which we flew to New York City, NY to catch a flight to Georgetown, Guyana. From there it is an hour at sub-supersonic speed in a converted Toyota cargo van to Linden, Guyana – our base of operations. That was the plan!

Our Atlanta to New York flight was delayed significantly. Hence, we were in danger of missing our once a day flight from New York to Georgetown. We landed in a heavy rainstorm at JFK International Airport, it appeared too late to board our next flight. However, the plane waited for us and a few others, though it was otherwise completely boarded and sitting at the gate awaiting our arrival. Bonnie and I scurried from one gate across the terminal to another gate, where we were led into the pouring rain to board a bus. It took us to another terminal, which necessitated us getting in the rain once more.

Finally, we boarded the New York to Georgetown plane. Of course, by now there was no place for our carry-on luggage, and it had to be secured beneath the plane. Our preferred boarding benefit only works if the prior flight is not hours late! Ready to go, right? Wrong! Other passengers straggled in for the next little while. The plane door was even reopened at least once to allow another passenger entry.

Way late, the plane eventually made its way to the runway, but it broke down, so we could not take off. On the way back to the terminal, a second breakdown occurred. For the next nearly two hours, hundreds of passengers herded like cattle confined to chutes mulled as technicians made repairs. About to push away yet again from the terminal, the cockpit crew appeared to have pushed some wrong buttons, intending to converse with the tower but instead addressing the passengers. A few moments later, attempting to talk to the ground crew, once more the cockpit spoke instead to the passengers. We could only hope that the plane was airworthy and that in the air the pilots would remember which buttons to push.

Pushing back from the terminal, the auxiliary lifeline to the plane was pulled unceremoniously from the underbelly of the aircraft. All power was lost in the plane, and auxiliary power was required to restart onboard motors to restore electrical power. As we made our way to the runway and hurled down it for a nighttime ride through torrential rains, we could only rejoice that we were not superstitious and further hoped that the balance of this leg of our journey would be uneventful. It was! We arrived hours late, but we arrived in Georgetown, Guyana to the loving embrace of dear and precious brethren in Christ.

Explore posts in the same categories: Guyana, Overseas, Travel, Weather Related

%d bloggers like this: